Loving. Learning. Engineering. Life.


Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Rounding Out May -- My 1st Triathlon

Memorial Day has come and gone, my brief but fun vacation to California is behind me, and the only thing staring me in the face now is my first triathlon, which is now only 7 weeks away.  Yup, you read that correctly, I've signed up for my first ever triathlon.  My sister conquered her first triathlon back in October, which you can read about here.  Since then, she's rocked another one, and will be competing in her third next month.  She is so awesome, and her strength has inspired me to give the tri a try!  

The event will take place right here in this desert town at the university.  In case you're not too familiar with triathlons, the first event is a swim, then biking, then a run.  The distances for my event are 750 meters, 12 miles, and 3 miles, respectively.  Even though I was exhausted from the three day weekend, I still forced myself to get a workout in yesterday.  Here's what I accomplished:

400 yard swim

   Warm-up: Swim easy 50 yards
   Main set: 12x25 yards swim - 15 seconds rest between each
   Cool-down: Swim easy 50 yards

I was able to complete my 12x25 yard swim in under 12 minutes, which gives me a baseline estimate of finishing the 750 meter swim in ~32 minutes.  Even though I'm a bit worrisome on whether I'll be ready in time, I'm still very motivated to get in that pool and work hard.  Here's my tentative training plan for the remainder of the week:
  • Wednesday: Rest
  • Thursday: Run 2.5 miles
  • Friday: Swim 400 yards
       Warm-up: Swim easy 50 yards
       Main set: 6x50 yards swim - 15 seconds rest between each
       Cool-down: Swim easy 50 yards
  • Saturday: Run/Walk with Dogs
  • Sunday: Bike 10 miles


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment