Loving. Learning. Engineering. Life.


Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Chicken Enchiladas Verdes

When I was a young undergrad student, the thought of cooking chicken not only grossed me out, but seemed like such a taxing, scary event.  Always in fear that I'd under cook it (or dry it out), I left the chicken cooking to my sister.  Moving away from my dear sister has been the catalyst for teaching myself to not fear raw chicken.  Over the past year, I've braved my way through cooking many a plate of pan fried, BBQ grilled, and sauteed fajita-style chicken.  Recently I decided to embark on this challenge: chicken...in an enchilada.  I have made some mighty tasty vegetarian enchiladas over the years, but this would be the first such attempt at using meat...let alone SHREDDED chicken.  Who knew you could boil chicken for 30 minutes and poof...shredded chicken!  Now don't be a chicken and get in that kitchen...you've got some poultry to cook.           
Note:  Although this recipe calls for 2 chicken breasts, I ended up only shredding one (as they were large breasts from Costco).  I froze the 2nd breast after boiling and letting cool, and will defrost it next week for salad or pasta.


Chicken Enchiladas Verdes
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 yellow onion, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
4 oz can diced green chiles
8.5 oz can whole kernel corn, drained
10 oz can green chile enchilada sauce
3/4 cup salsa verde
1 tablespoon corn oil + extra for pan
12 corn tortillas

3/4-1 cup shredded chedder and/or monterey jack cheese
Place chicken breasts in pot, cover with water and bring to a boil.  Then lower heat and let simmer for 25-30 minutes.  Remove chicken from pot and place on cutting board to cool, being sure to reserve broth in pot.  Once chicken is cool, use a fork and tongs to shred it.  In a saute pan, warm oil.  Add in chicken, onion, green chiles and 1/4 cup of chicken broth, and cook on low for about 5 minutes.  Add corn and bell pepper to pan, stir on low for 1 minute, then remove from heat. 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Wrap tortillas in damp cloth and microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute.  In rectangular glass pan, drizzel oil and enchilada sauce (just enough to coat bottom of pan).  Place tortilla in pan, scoop shredded chicken mixture down center of tortilla, wrap and flip over so that the edges of the tortilla are facing downward.  Repeat until pan is full.  Pour remaining enchilada sauce and salsa verde over enchiladas, and sprinkle cheese on top.  (Note: I had a little bit of shredded chicken mixture left in the end so I sprinkled it over the top of the enchiladas)  Cover with foil, bake for 30 minutes.  Then remove foil and bake for another 10 minutes to crisp the edges.   





Pin It

1 comment: